Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Week 11: D2

The question I choose to do is number 3. Find an advertisement that sues an appeal to fear. Is it a good argument?

This is an advertisement that talks about how drinking under the influence is bad. It prompts people not to drink and drive because it causes accidents. It shows a handicap sign and it says that “every 48 seconds, a drunk drive makes another person eligible to park here” The point of this advertisement is manipulate people to be scare of hurting other people if they chose to drink and then drive. It is scary how you can ruin someone’s life because you want to drive home even though you do not know what you are doing.

I do not think that this is a good argument because there might people that do not care if they hurt someone else. If I look at it I know I will think twice before I drive intoxicated, but not everyone is like me. . Not everyone is going to fear that they might hurt someone else. The argument can be stronger if it said something like, “every 48 seconds, a drunk driver makes him/her self eligible to park here. It will be more personal so more people will be scare that they will be the next one parking in the handicap spot.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the advertisement you chose for your blog! When I was looking for a blog to comment on, yours made me so curious that I felt like I needed to read it! The topic of drinking and driving is very serious by itself, but this ad was definitely meant to scare people into not drinking and driving. Or at the very least make them remember it when the opportunity may arise. I am like you as well, I was affected by the ad because I would fear that my actions may cost harm to another person’s life. But not all people think this way; they drink and drive without a care if it will affect someone else. On the other hand, I think that it would be considered a good argument because it appeals to the viewer’s fears and does it appropriately. It’s just implying, “You should not drink and drive if you are afraid of causing a serious accident”.
    Well nice job: )

    ReplyDelete