Monday, November 14, 2011

Week 13: D1

This website was helpful and useful because it explained the concept clearly. I also know now that cause and effect arguments are generally used in court cases because it is very effective. It gives a good picture at what is happening, which makes the argument stronger. I like how the website uses a very good example to explain the concept. It was a very relatable scenario because accidents like that happen all the time.

It also outlines what the strength of a causal argument is, which can be helpful when analyzing an argument.

1.How acceptable or demonstrable the implied comparison is.
2.How likely the case for causation seems to be.
3.How credible the “only significant difference” or “only significant commonality” claim it is.


The exercises were interesting as well. It makes me think about the strengths of the casual argument a little more. By having something to work with at the end, helps my understanding of the concept.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Cynthia!
    I totally agree with you the website was very help and precise in explaining the cause and effect chapter. But you're right those types of cause and effects happen during accidents most often. When people try to avoid responsibility that they were the one that hit the other person also people tend to look for ways out of a situation when they're the one that has to pay for the damages. Also I agree with you that the three factors helps me further understand the Causal Arguments along with cause and effect arguments. GOOD JOB! :] awesome post! Keep up the good job!

    [ellacomm]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cythina! Good Job this week on discussion! I also thought that the webpage was really helpful in explaining cause and effect arguments. I also liked the fact that the website used the examples of court cases to help explain cause and effect. I didn’t realize that figuring out the effect causes such a thought process for something so simple. The outline and structure and how the website was laid out make it helpful for me to depict the important parts of cause and effect. When you said that having work at the end helped you understand more, I definitely understood what you were talking about because when there are exercises in the book they are very easy just to skip over when in reality they are just there to help you.

    ReplyDelete