Monday, October 31, 2011

Week 11: D1

Appeal to emotion in an argument is used to manipulation of how someone feels to win the argument. There are different types of emotions that one can appeal to; pity, fear, and spite. I think the appeal to pity is interesting because it is very relatable for me. A lot of charity does this in their campaigns. I see many ads on television where they play animals that are sick, dying and alone and they tell the viewers that they can help these animals by paying money towards their organization. This appeal makes someone feel bad or sorry and that there are ways for that someone to help out. I have to admit that there are countless times when I did want to donate to these organizations because I felt bad. It was also appealing because it did not cost me too much money to help out. Also I feel like because I am a girl, emotions are easy to manipulate, especially with having pity for other things and people. I believe that out of all the emotions, the appeal to pity is the most successful in a lot of arguments.

3 comments:

  1. Hiya Cynthia! :)

    Your example reminded me so much about PETA, since they too use appeal to pity in so many of their arguments. They definitely know how to persuade a person when they use this kind of fallacy. I find myself being too easily persuaded when it comes to their use of appeal to pity. I tell you, one picture of an injured puppy, I'll be ready to give whatever it takes to prevent that from happening again. Although now I know I shouldn't give into my emotions that easily. So now I actually have to analyze before giving in. I still have a soft spot for small puppies though. x]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cynthia! Your post about appeal to emotion was clear and easy to read. I liked that you had many examples of different appeals to emotion. Your example of the animals definitely reminded me of our organization PETA and it just shows how good of a technique appeal to emotion is. I always wanted to donate to an organization like this but how do you know your money is actually going to them? It’s just like when you see all the homeless people in San Francisco, I want to give them all the change I have but sometimes I feel like its not going to a good cause especially when they reek of alcohol. Appeal to emotion is all about making someone feel bad so that they do something in return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cyntthia!

    I really enjoyed reading your post on appeal to emotion. It was easy to read and follow and it was very entertaining. Just like the person above said, this topic reminds me of PETA! My sister was a member of PETA and she would always say things that appealed to my emotion. When you appeal to someones emotion it is always a good way to get your point across. For example you will always listen more carefully to something that you have feelings about or that brings out feelings in you. Anyways... Great post, i enjoyed reading it, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete