Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Week 7: D1

The concept that I will be talking about is compound claims. A compound claim consists of two or more claims that can be view as just one claim. The claims are and can be attached by words like “or”. I also believe that compound claims can confuse people, making people think there are more than one claims in the argument, when there really is only one.

These types of claims are seen in everyday life and argumentation. An everyday example would be this “Either I will do my homework today or I will do my homework tomorrow ”. I normally hear this around my friends during the school year. The speaker did not exactly say when they would do the homework, only the thought of when the homework should be done. Even though the speaker states a compound claim, it only has one claim in the statement. The claim is to when the homework is going to get done, just one idea thrown out for the audience.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cynthia!
    I really enjoyed your clarity on compound claims. When I was reading through the chapter I had to go back over it a few times just to make sure I have the concept.
    Your example about your friends choosing when to do their homework is a great example that is very relevant to about every student right now with midterms here. I think another good example of this would be: “I’m going to go to the library to do my homework or going to try and do it in front of the T.V. watching my favorite show.”
    ---I usually side with the latter 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia!
    Your explanation of compound claims was very thorough. I wrote about this in my post about chapter 6 too. I knew how to form a compound claim, but I didn't know how to explain it until now. So, thank you for that! I liked how your explanation was very simple to understand as well. There was no extra details or anything, it was just a pure, straightforward explanation. Whenever I have to read something really detailed, I tend to lose my train of thought when there's extra details in an explanation, so you saved my mind from going through that today. haha Keep it up! Your entries are awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cynthia! Your post about compound claims was very clear and easy to read. I also agree with your statement where you said, “that compound claims can confuse people, making people think there are more than one argument in the claim”. It is an easy mistake to make when analyzing claims. I think it’s the factor of having “or” in the statement that makes people confused. The example about homework is a very common compound claim. Another that you might hear often is “I will clean the dishes today or I will clean the dishes tomorrow, well its common phrase that I hear my roommate says all the time. -___-

    ReplyDelete