Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 9: D1

I find that in Chapter 8 general claims and their contradictories is pretty useful. A lot of arguments seem valid but it really is not when you break it down. Sometimes it happens because of the wording that is being use in the argument. The words “some” and “all” in a claim can be ambiguous. “All” means that it is “every single one, no exceptions” but sometimes all can mean “every single one, and there is at least one.” The word “some” means “at least one” but it sometimes also means “at least one, but not all.
I attended a private high school, which also meant that I had to wear uniform. My school was picky as we can only wear a certain brand of uniform. If we did not wear that certain brand we were given referrals because it was not considered uniform. At times this sentence is thrown into conversations, all the students in my high school were uniform. The contradictory of will be, some students do not wear uniform. This is because a lot of students like me wore “fake uniform”, which means that our uniform was from another brand.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cynthia! Your post about general claims was very thought out and explained well. It really looks like you understand and grasped the concept well. I also thought that the example claims in the book were valid too. When they deciphered every example, it made it clear that the claims were not valid for not obvious reasons. I also liked your example for explaining all and some. I think it is very easy to relate to. It is also very clear to understand. I also liked how you explained what the contradictory of your example was. It made it clear that you understood what general claims were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia! I agree with Kirstie. Your post was thoroughly explained very well.

    Also, I can relate to your example about how you went to private school, and had to wear uniforms. I went to a private school for 7 years, and it was such a drag to wear the same thing every single day. But the school I went to wasn't so picky about the brand. That sucks how you'd get in trouble if you didn't wear the particular brand!

    Overall, your post made me understand the concept of "all" and its contradictions that come along with it. What I'd suggest is maybe adding another example on the concept your explaining. So that if others may not understand it, at least they have another example that they can fall back on. :)

    ReplyDelete