Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Week 9: D2

The first major course assignment was rather interesting and was helpful to me. It gave be a better understanding at what we were learning because we were applying it to our daily lives. We read news articles almost everyday and most of the articles are very opinionated. I was able to see what the claim was and how the author supported the main claim of the article. This assignment was useful because I can now clearly read articles and break down what the author is trying to point out and I can critique if he has a strong or weak argument. It makes me think about if I really believe in what they are trying to convince me of thinking. For example from my assignment, in which the claim was that “we need to remember what happen on September 11 because the moments spent with our children are what get us through the memory of bad days”, there were a lot of supports that the author gave for this claim. His claims were good and it almost made me believe that his claim was strong. When I broke down this article for the assignment I saw that there were a lot of holes in his argument, which made it weak. From this assignment, it encouraged me to look at a claim and break down what the author is trying to say before I agree or think that the claim is strong.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Cyyntthhia!

    It was interesting for me reading your post because you brought up different reasons why the first few major assignments were useful and important. I brought up the ways how it was good to work with people and work on my communication skills. Furthermore, I said it was useful because it taught us to work with a team and work together toward a common goal. But after reading your post, I thought your reasons were just as important. The way we had to apply what we were learning to our everyday lives was very useful. I did not realize it at first but this helped me out a lot. It allowed me to better understand everything we learned..
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cyyntthhia!!

    I enjoyed reading your post and examples from the chapter. Newspapers are full of opinions from writers and editors and they convince the reader by using strong claims and i do agree with you, it's easier for me to break down the authors argument and look at it to see if I do agree as well. I'm not going to lie, I used to argue using "ALL" alot and like we had learned from our reading this week, but obviously using the word ALL has to really mean "every single one, no exceptions" in order to make the argument strong and true. If i had written an article in the newspaper, we both would know that it's hard to believe the statement is true. Great job on your post, again, i enjoyed reading it :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello cynthia,

    i really enjoy reading your blog that you have posted for this week. the way you approached to the cause for the assignment as a group, it has shown me that we all need this assignment for us to understand the concepts a little bit better. by applying the concepts to what we have learned from these weeks past lessons, it made us realize how critical thinking can still apply to what is happening to us right now. i really like how you explain the claims that is related to what the cause that you were trying to prove. in the end, i really enjoyed reading you blog and keep up the good work. peace out cynthia and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you that assignment 1 was very interesting and useful. i also wrote about assignment one and my explanation is along the same lines as to what you said.
    Assignment one really helped me be able to understand articles claims and support to the claims for the future.
    After reading your example of your article and your claim, it made me realize that the claim you read the first time may appear to me strong and weak, however after using the concepts we learned in class, we see that the argument can appear to be weak after all.

    ReplyDelete