Thursday, October 6, 2011

WEEK 7: D3

I thought the conditionals and their contradictories in chapter 6 was an interesting topic to talk about. I hear examples of this in everyday conversations with my friends and co-workers. A conditional claim is a claim that that can be rewritten as a “if…then…” claim holds the same truth-value. It is basically “If antecedent, then consequent”. An example of the concept would be “ If I work out then I will be in shape”. The conditional was “I work out” and the consequent was “ I will be in shape”.
The contradictory of the conditional is when if A then B, has contradictory A but not B. For example, I ran but I did not get in shape”. One important thing about this is which the contradictory of a condition is not another conditional. Also something to remember, “even if” does not make it conditional.
I thought this part of the lesson was not too hard to understand but it was hard to explain.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I thought conditionals and contradictories were very interesting to learn about. Although i kept confusing the two with their definitions, I now clearly understand the difference.
    I didn't realize how often these are used in my every day life. It could be the simplest situation; and contradictory and/or conditional claims are used without me even realizing. Its really fun that now that i have learned these concepts and know how they are used and what they are, i can now point them out in conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i just read your conditional and contradictory claim that you have posted, and it was great and understandable. the example that you posted was easy for me to understand unlike the example that i had posted on my site. even though, i tried my best to explain the concept, it still wasn't clearly great yours because i was confused about the topic. the example about the exercising on how you explained about the concept when you said, "you ran but not get in shape" was understandable because the contradictory didn't follow up to the conditional claim due to reasoning. it was great and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete