Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week 6: D2


I will be discussing a Pantene advertisement that I came across when I was Amazon.com. I believe that this company has been around for quite some time and everyone in America knows about this brand. There are ads in television, billboards, magazines, and even on the Internet. Pantene normally targets woman consumers because almost all of their ads have a female personal on it. It normally advertises how beautiful their hair can be after they use these products.

In this ad specifically, it tells us that the shampoo will “help end split ends.” I use products from Pantene everyday and I have loads of split ends in my hair. From my personal experience, these products does not do what they say the will do. The smart thing about this ad is that the ad says, “help”. This suggests that the product will not get rid of the split ends completely. Also the model, Eva Mendes, has shiny and what looks like split end free hair. This is not credible because we do not know if she uses the products or not. Also her hair could be photo shop.

I think this product is reliable enough since it does not promise anything, but it does help your hair situations. It on shelves across the United States and I see people buying a bottle of their shampoo every time I walk into Target or another store. Our credibility in buying the product comes from other people who are already buying the product. This product might not solve all your problems but it will help, at least to clean your hair.

2 comments:

  1. Hey:) I really liked your post because you dissected the message the ad was saying. By saying "help," the company is not liable and cannot be sued for any person still having split ends after the use of their product. Also, I found your criticism of Eva Mendes helpful because we really do not know if she uses the product. Since most companies try to get models and celebrities that already have the thing they are trying to prove or sell, such as better hair, we cannot say she uses Pantene--which she most likely does not. Her hair in the image also does not look realistic, further emphasizing your point about her photograph being photoshopped. Lastly, I do agree that most of our influence comes from what we see from other people. If I see a lot of people buying a certain product, I too would want to buy that product because it is most likely of good quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The advertisement that you found is a great example that delivers a message on how the product can be deceitful to those wants to clear their split hair issues. also by pointing out about eva mendes for having shining hair along with the use of this product, it doesn't prove that she would use this product to obtain on what she looks like on the ad. putting on actresses or actors don't really mean anything for product that they are promoting for but instead on lying to the customers. also, i agreed that anything that are being placed on ads, usually those are the ones who mostly wants their customers to get trick. instead of getting the deceitful messages on the ads, i would just go up to the stores and ask one of the sellers if the product that they are selling. also on the guarantee statement that they claim for me about the product.

    ReplyDelete