Friday, September 16, 2011

Week 4: D1

2. I’m on my way to school. (1) I left five minutes late. (2) Traffic is heavy. (3) Therefore, I’ll be late for class. (4) So I might as well stop and get breakfast. (5)

Argument: Yes

Conclusion: I am going to get breakfast because I am already late for class.

Additional premises needed: It is bumper to bumper traffic, at this pace even if I get to school, all my classes will be over. Since there is no way I will be able to attend class I might as well get some breakfast to feed my hunger.

Identify any sub argument: 1-4

Good argument: I do not think that it is a good argument but it is an okay argument. I feel as if it there were more premises to support it, it would be a good argument. For example if the premises states more of how it does not matter if we attend class or if class is short and there is to way to make it, then the conclusion seems more reasonable. There are a lot of loopholes in this argument when I look at it closely. If the premises has more information about why it is better to skip class then the conclusion will be more valid.


The exercise was a little bit helpful as it breaks down the argument. By breaking it down it help me realize what can make a good or bad argument. I learn how to make a better and more persuasive argument. The exercise shows me how an argument has loopholes and how I can add more premises to make the argument better.

4 comments:

  1. Hey:) I did the same exercise and I'd have to say, you did a great job explaining what is missing for this argument to be a good argument. I like how you gave the different possible premises the person can include making it a good argument such as "how it does not matter if we attend class." Also, I liked how you suggested the argument should state the benefits of skipping class for the conclusion to be more valid. By laying out the benefits of skipping the class, the student would have a stronger argument because he would be showing good reason to be skipping class instead of just skipping it because he is late. Overall, great post:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there Cynthia,

    I thought your explanation of what was weak in this argument was dead on. There are so many different possibilities that can come into affect that it makes for a weak argument. It's like you said about the need for more supporting premises. Also, I like your example of different possible supporting premises. In order for the argument to sound solid, I would also need more information about different possible factors such as the length of class, how long it usually takes to get to class, and other things of that sort. Overall, great job. (and great use of the word loophole ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Cynthia! I used the same exercise as you and I agree with you one some parts and disagree on others. For the conclusion, I just put "So I might as well stop and get breakfast." And also for the additional premises I did something different. I put: If someone is on his or her way to school and left five minutes late, and traffic is heavy, then he or she will be late for class. a If someone will be late for class, he or she might as well stop and get breakfast. b Though, yours seem reasonable also. And I'm not really sure if 4 would be part of identification of a subargument. I put that 1, 2, and 3 are independent and support 4. Then 4 supports the conclusion, 5. At the end (good argument?), it was hard for me to decide if it was a strong argument or a weak one, but it definitely is not a valid one. But "okay" seems like a more appropriate word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the same example. I was surprised when you used "okay argument" for the example. I would assume another word can be used, but it's your blog! I like the creativity on your post. Breaking down the argument makes it easier to understand. In addition, there should be no reason to miss class because there are materials to be covered. Going out for breakfast in order to kill time for the rest of the class period is not a good idea. Students should attend class even if there is 20 minutes left. At least the student can ask the professor or co-leagues if there was anything important that is due or mentioned.

    ReplyDelete