Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Week 3: D3

The concept that appealed to me was Effective Leadership from the Group Communications book. A leader is someone who has a lot of power within in a group of people but it does not mean that he or she is an effective leader. I agree with the book in that leaders should bring about desirable outcomes, enhance credibility with the group and inspire and motivate people of the group to participate. I was one of the captains on my volleyball team during my senior year so I am going to use this as an example in explaining effective leadership.

Being in a group means that everyone has their eye on the goal. The leader needs lead the people towards that certain goal. If the leader does not help the group go closer to a goal of even bring desirable outcomes, the leader does not have very much effect. For example, if my volleyball team never won a game, it means that my co-captains and I did not do a very good job in helping our team win.

An experience leader is a big plus. No one wants a leader who does not know anything about what they are doing. The other captains and I played volleyball since our freshman year, which meant that we knew the rules of the game and how to play the game. As leaders we were given respect because we knew how to play the game well. They can also come to us at any time to ask questions and we will always be ready to give them answers.

The leader should also cheer and inspire members of the group. I was one of the quieter captains but it did not stop me from encouraging others on my team. I am always pulling some of my teammates aside to tell them what they did well on. One thing I recall doing a lot was encouraging one of my middle blocker of the team to block more by telling her “block for a block”. This encouraged her and she was always determined to match my blocking stats.

Leaders need to be effective so that the group can carry out a good outcome.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cynthia! :)
    I picked this section to write about too. I agree that an experienced leader is really important. That would mean that this person knows what to expect, no matter what the outcome may be. They would be able to plan out scenarios of "what if" and can also be prepared for the worse. You wouldn't want a poor sport of a captain if your team lost one game, right? :P

    I really liked how you brought out your own personal experience with being a team captain for your volleyball team. It shows that you know what it takes to be a great leader as well. I also find it true that an effective leader is necessary for a good outcome. Everyone wants to succeed, and having a good leader can help get to that outcome faster.

    ReplyDelete